Last Updated on September 30, 2023 by Albert Duke
To reset the oil light on a 2018 Dodge Journey, start the vehicle and turn it off three times in a row. Are you looking for a simple and effective way to reset the oil light on your 2018 Dodge Journey?
Well, you’re in luck! We will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to reset the oil light on your Dodge Journey. It’s important to reset the oil light to ensure that your vehicle operates at its optimum performance and to remind you when it’s time to change your oil.
By following our instructions, you’ll be able to reset the oil light on your 2018 Dodge Journey in no time, saving you both time and money. So, let’s get started!
Understanding The “Oil Change Due” Light On Your Dodge Journey
To understand the “Oil Change Due” light on your 2018 Dodge Journey, check out helpful videos on YouTube or visit websites like HiRide and Practical Mechanic for step-by-step instructions on how to reset the oil light. This will ensure that you stay informed and maintain your vehicle’s performance.
What Is The “Oil Change Due” Light?
- The “Oil Change Due” light is an indicator that illuminates on the dashboard of your Dodge Journey to remind you that it’s time for an oil change.
- This light serves as a helpful tool to ensure the proper maintenance and longevity of your vehicle’s engine.
- The light typically appears after a set number of miles or a specific duration has passed since your last oil change.
Why Does It Light Up?
- The “Oil Change Due” light lights up to notify you that the oil in your Dodge Journey needs to be changed.
- This light is triggered by the vehicle’s internal computer system, which monitors various factors such as mileage, engine operating conditions, and the type of oil used.
- Once the predetermined threshold is reached, the light is activated to let you know that it’s time for an oil change.
Importance Of Regular Oil Changes
- Regular oil changes are crucial for maintaining the overall health and performance of your Dodge Journey.
- Oil acts as a lubricant for the internal components of the engine, reducing friction and preventing excessive wear and tear.
- By regularly changing the oil, you ensure that your engine’s parts are properly lubricated, allowing them to function smoothly and efficiently.
- Regular oil changes also help to remove dirt, debris, and contaminants that can accumulate in the oil over time, preventing potential damage to your engine.
- Additionally, fresh oil helps to regulate the temperature of the engine, ensuring that it remains within a safe operating range.
- Neglecting regular oil changes can result in reduced engine performance, increased fuel consumption, and even engine failure.
Remember, staying on top of your Dodge Journey’s oil change schedule is essential for keeping your vehicle in optimal condition. Make sure to heed the “Oil Change Due” light and consult your vehicle’s owner’s manual for specific recommendations on oil change intervals.
How To Reset The “Oil Change Due” Light On Your Dodge Journey
To reset the “Oil Change Due” light on your 2018 Dodge Journey, simply follow these steps: switch the car to the RUN position, fully depress the GAS PEDAL three times, and turn off the vehicle. It’s an easy process to keep your oil change reminder in check.
Step 1: Start The Engine
To begin the process of resetting the “Oil Change Due” light on your Dodge Journey, follow these simple steps:
- Start the engine of your vehicle.
Step 2: Access The Vehicle Settings
Once the engine is running, you will need to access the vehicle settings on your Dodge Journey. Here’s how:
- Locate the control panel or dashboard of your vehicle.
- Look for a button or a series of buttons that are designated for accessing the settings menu.
Step 3: Locate And Select The “Oil Life” Option
After accessing the vehicle settings, you will need to navigate to the “Oil Life” option in order to reset the oil change reminder. Here’s how:
- Use the buttons on the control panel to scroll through the menu options until you find the “Oil Life” option.
- Once you have located the “Oil Life” option, select it by pressing the corresponding button.
Step 4: Reset The Oil Change Reminder
Now that you have selected the “Oil Life” option, you can proceed to reset the oil change reminder on your Dodge Journey. Follow these final steps:
- Within the “Oil Life” menu, look for the option that allows you to reset the reminder.
- Select the reset option by pressing the corresponding button.
- Make sure to confirm the reset by following any additional prompts or instructions that may appear on the control panel.
By following these steps, you should be able to successfully reset the “Oil Change Due” light on your Dodge Journey. Remember to consult your vehicle’s manual or contact a professional if you encounter any issues or need further assistance.
Alternative Methods For Resetting The “Oil Change Due” Light
To reset the “Oil Change Due” light on a 2018 Dodge Journey, there are alternative methods available. One method is to switch the car to the RUN position, fully depress the gas pedal three times, and then turn off the vehicle.
Another method is to watch instructional videos on platforms like YouTube to learn step-by-step instructions on manually resetting the oil light.
Method 1: Using The Trip Meter
- Start the engine and make sure the vehicle is in park.
- Locate the trip meter button on the dashboard.
- Press and hold the trip meter button until the oil change light begins to flash.
- Release the button and then quickly press and hold it again until the light turns off.
- Turn off the engine and then turn it back on to confirm that the oil change light has been reset.
Method 2: Disconnecting The Battery
- Park the vehicle and turn off the engine.
- Locate the negative battery terminal.
- Use a wrench or pliers to loosen the nut on the negative battery terminal.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal and wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Reconnect the negative battery terminal and start the engine to check if the oil change light has been reset.
Method 3: Using A Scan Tool
- Park the vehicle and turn off the engine.
- Locate the OBD-II port, usually underneath the dashboard on the driver’s side.
- Plug the scan tool into the OBD-II port.
- Turn on the scan tool and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to reset the oil change light.
- Once the light has been reset, disconnect the scan tool and start the engine to ensure that the light no longer appears.
Remember, it is important to regularly change the oil in your Dodge Journey to keep the engine running smoothly and maintain its overall performance. If you are unsure how to reset the oil change light or prefer to have a professional handle it, don’t hesitate to reach out to your local Dodge dealership or mechanic.
Tips For Maintaining Your Dodge Journey’S Oil Life
To reset the oil light on your 2018 Dodge Journey, follow these simple steps. First, switch the car to the RUN position. Then, fully depress the gas pedal three times. Finally, turn off the car and the oil light will be reset.
Checking the oil level regularly:
- Park your Dodge Journey on a level surface and wait for the engine to cool down.
- Locate the oil dipstick, usually labeled with a yellow handle, and pull it out.
- Wipe the dipstick clean with a cloth and then reinsert it back into the dipstick tube.
- Remove the dipstick again and check the oil level. It should be between the “min” and “max” markers.
- If the oil level is low, add the recommended type of oil until it reaches the proper level.
Choosing the right type of oil:
- Refer to your Dodge Journey’s owner’s manual to find the recommended oil viscosity and performance rating.
- Look for oils that meet or exceed the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Consider factors like climate, driving conditions, and your vehicle’s age when choosing the appropriate oil type.
- Synthetic oils offer better protection and performance, especially in extreme temperatures and high-stress driving situations.
- Consult with a professional mechanic or refer to trusted online resources for guidance in selecting the best oil for your Dodge Journey.
Following the recommended oil change intervals:
- Regularly changing the oil in your Dodge Journey is crucial for maintaining its engine’s performance and longevity.
- Check your vehicle’s owner’s manual to find the manufacturer’s recommended oil change interval.
- Typically, conventional oil needs to be changed every 3,000 to 5,000 miles, while synthetic oil can last up to 10,000 miles.
- Adhering to the recommended interval ensures that your engine receives clean and properly lubricated oil, maximizing its efficiency and preventing premature wear and tear.
By following these tips for maintaining your Dodge Journey’s oil life, you can keep your engine running smoothly and protect its longevity. Regularly checking the oil level, choosing the right type of oil, and following the recommended oil change intervals are essential steps in ensuring optimal performance and efficiency for your vehicle.
Remember to consult your owner’s manual and seek professional guidance whenever necessary to keep your Dodge Journey in top shape.
Frequently Asked Questions About Resetting The Oil Light On A Dodge Journey
To reset the oil light on a 2018 Dodge Journey, switch the car to the RUN position, fully depress the gas pedal three times, and turn off the vehicle. This quick and easy procedure will clear the “Oil Change Due” light on your dashboard.
How Often Should I Reset The Oil Change Reminder?
- Once you have performed an oil change on your Dodge Journey, you should reset the oil change reminder. This will ensure that the reminder accurately reflects the next oil change interval.
- It is recommended to reset the oil change reminder after each oil change so that you can easily keep track of when the next oil change is due.
Can I Reset The Oil Light Without Changing The Oil?
- No, it is not recommended to reset the oil light on your Dodge Journey without actually changing the oil.
- The oil light serves as a reminder to change the oil, indicating that the oil has reached the end of its useful life. Resetting the oil light without changing the oil can lead to engine damage and potential breakdowns.
- It is crucial to adhere to the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedule and change the oil regularly to maintain the performance and longevity of your vehicle.
What Should I Do If The Oil Change Light Keeps Coming On?
- If the oil change light on your Dodge Journey keeps coming on even after you have changed the oil, there are a few steps you can take to resolve the issue:
- Check the oil level: Ensure that the oil level is correct by using the dipstick. Add oil if necessary.
- Inspect for leaks: Look for any signs of oil leaks, such as puddles under your vehicle or oily residue on the engine. If you identify a leak, it is essential to address it promptly.
- Consult a professional: If you have followed the above steps and the oil change light still persists, it is recommended to consult a certified mechanic or bring your vehicle to a Dodge dealership. They can diagnose and resolve any underlying issues causing the oil change light to illuminate.
Remember, regular oil changes are vital for the health of your engine, so it’s crucial to address any issues related to the oil change light promptly.
Frequently Asked Questions On 2018 Dodge Journey Reset Oil Light
How To Reset Check Engine Light After Oil Change Dodge Journey?
To reset the check engine light after an oil change in a Dodge Journey, follow these steps: 1. Start the vehicle. 2. Turn off the vehicle. 3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 three times. 4. The check engine light should be reset.
How To Turn Off The Oil Change Message On A 2017 Dodge Journey?
To turn off the oil change message on a 2017 Dodge Journey, follow these steps: 1. Start the vehicle. 2. Press the gas pedal fully three times. 3. Turn off the vehicle. 4. The oil change message should now be cleared.
Note: These steps may vary slightly depending on the model and year of your Dodge Journey.
How Do You Manually Reset The Oil Light?
To manually reset the oil light on your vehicle, follow these steps: 1. Switch the car to the “RUN” position. 2. Fully depress the gas pedal three times. 3. Turn off the vehicle. 4. The oil light should now be reset.
How Do You Reset The Oil Life Warning?
To reset the oil life warning on a Dodge Journey, follow these steps: 1. Start the vehicle and let it idle. 2. Fully depress the gas pedal three times. 3. Turn off the vehicle. 4. That’s it! The oil life warning should now be reset.
In this blog post, we discussed the importance of resetting the oil light on a 2018 Dodge Journey. We provided step-by-step instructions on how to reset the oil light, as well as resources such as YouTube videos and guides from reputable sources.
It is crucial to reset the oil light to ensure proper maintenance of your vehicle and avoid any potential damages. By following the instructions provided in this blog post, you can easily reset the oil light and keep your Dodge Journey running smoothly.
Remember to switch the car to the RUN position, fully depress the gas pedal three times, and turn off the vehicle. Clearing the oil change due light is a simple but necessary task to ensure the longevity of your car’s engine.
Stay on top of your vehicle’s maintenance by resetting the oil light on your 2018 Dodge Journey today.